sábado, 6 de fevereiro de 2016

Book Review | Sycamore Row by John Grisham

First John Grisham novel. It's one of those authors I've been meaning to read for a long time. But what do I do? I go and choose a book which is the sequel of his first novel. I didn't give up on it though.

My general impression is that Grisham must have learned the law and is someone who reads people like an investigator. Only someone with a careful attention to detail would be able to write such wonderfully vivid scenes, I thought. It was all so relatable and unsettling and mysteriously delicious.

I grew close to the characters and I felt their pain. In the midst of all the intrigue and law specifics, I could not stop caring for characters who I wanted to be friends and always keep in touch with.

The story is about an unpleasant fellow who kills himself because he's ill, but before that changes his will to favor his housekeeper and caretaker of three years. He's white and she's black. This is the 80s. This is Mississippi. Everything unravels and keeps showing the best and the worst humankind has to offer.

The pacing was slow at times, I think, but the plot developed pleasantly, with bits of human and romance mixed into the parts where seriousness and technicalities saturated the dialog.

Although I'm not a fan of television series and books about lawyers and the intricacies of the law, I am now ready to read more of Grisham's novels. No wonder he is the sixth most read author in the States.

8/10

Sem comentários: